WHO calls on public to minimize COVID-19 risk around Easter celebrations
On the eve of the Easter holidays, World Health Organization (WHO) Europe warned Europeans on Wednesday against making "individual" travel plans that could "affect more people than those close by" and could "also impact communities," Xinhua reports.
"Many countries across the WHO European region are in the midst of a serious resurgence of COVID-19 cases, and at this point in the pandemic we cannot afford to drop our guard and give up any of the public health measures used so far," the organization said in a press release.
To minimize transmissions, the WHO's Regional Office for Europe reminded the public that "While marking the spring holidays this year may look different, it is still possible if protective measures and precautions are taken."
"Regardless of location, any religious service should be held outdoors wherever possible or be limited in size and duration, with physical distancing, ventilation, hand hygiene and mask use, as appropriate," it said.
Indoor gatherings "can be especially risky," and therefore should be small. "Limiting group size and time spent indoors, and ensuring good ventilation are key to reducing the risk of exposure to COVID-19."
The WHO asks all Europeans who plan to travel to "consider all related risks and ask yourself whether travel is an absolute necessity."
"The WHO encourages everyone to strictly follow guidance from national authorities when traveling, and to avoid any unnecessary travel. Be your own risk manager, protect yourselves and others," it said.