This is a historic event.
The statement came from President Ilham Aliyev at the Cabinet meeting.
"Azerbaijan is becoming a country of space. We are engaged in the development of the space industry. Several years ago it was hard to imagine that the time will come and Azerbaijan will join the ranks of space countries. But the time is coming, and in the next few days we will celebrate the historic event. This in itself is in every sense a great achievement – both for the prestige of the country and for its modernization and development new technologies.
This is beneficial for business, as it is at the same time an economically viable project. But the most important is that it demonstrates the development and intentions of our country, demonstrates generally our outlook and politics. This is because we are building a modern and strong state. We have long gone beyond regional boundaries.
We have long left the name of a post-Soviet country. We are not a post-Soviet country. When sometimes in meetings with foreign partners, they say "post-Soviet countries", and I say, "Wait. Azerbaijan is not a post-Soviet country. Perhaps some are post-Soviet countries, but we are not. We are the independent state of Azerbaijan". During this period of independence, we really have made such great progress that every citizen of Azerbaijan can be proud of. Among them, the satellite launch has a special place. It has a great essence and a symbolic meaning.
I am sure that this event in the future will accelerate our steps in the direction of modernization and development. Given this event and, in general, the attention to ICT and the progress in this field, I declare 2013 the "Year of ICT" and I believe that in 2013 we should achieve in this area even greater successes," said the head of state.
Azerbaijan is becoming a space country - Ilham Aliyev
Thu 17 January 2013 06:34 GMT | 11:34 Local Time
This is a historic event.
- MP: Azerbaijanis will return to their historical lands, including Yerevan
- European Parliament: returning to Coal and Steel Community
- Robert Prosinečki: All conditions were created for First European Games
- Minister: Security will be ensured at the highest level
- Azad Rahimov: We have reached the desired in the issue of Games promotion
Most read articles
- Azerbaijan among countries with the worst relations with neighbours
- One more Armenian drone knocked down on front
- Erdogan: Impossible to continue peace process with those who harm national unity
- Azerbaijani President offers condolences to his Indian counterpart
- Visit of Russian bikers to occupied territories of Azerbaijan investigated
- Swiss businessman invests in occupied Karabakh
- Italian Saipem does not earn €1.232 bln due to South Stream project cancellation
- Details of secret deal between Azerbaijan and Georgia made public
- Iran cancels visa requirements for citizens of Azerbaijan
- Number of donkeys drops sharply in Azerbaijan